Nurses can earn 13.5 or 19.5 Continuing Education contact hours by completing certain portions of the Virtual Practicum. EVAWI is an approved provider of Continuing Education contact hours for nurses through the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider #15641. Click on the buttons below for detailed instructions on how to purchase either 13.5 or 19.5 nursing contact hours.
Other professionals may be able to apply for Continuing Education within their own discipline, by submitting a Certificate of Completion to the organization that awards such credits. The table below shows an estimated time of completion for each section of the Virtual Practicum. Additional information may also need to be submitted, including Learning Objectives which are provided at the bottom of this page.
Learning Objectives for the Virtual Practicum
As a result of this training program, participants will be better able to:
- Recognize the dual purpose of the sexual assault examination process.
- Identify multi-disciplinary responders to the sexual assault victim, and their roles.
- Recognize that the medical forensic exam is an interactive process that must be adapted to the needs and circumstances of each patient.
- Describe to the patient what the medical/forensic exam entails, and its purpose.
- Demonstrate integration of medical and forensic procedures during the exam.
- Explain informed consent.
- Review patient confidentiality issues associated with the medical/forensic exam.
- Identify equipment and supplies that are essential to the medical/forensic exam.
- Illustrate obtaining a medical/forensic history from a sexual assault patient.
- Define the time-sensitive nature of evidence retrieval.
- Demonstrate head-to-toe examination of the patient.
- Illustrate documentation of findings in the medical/forensic record.
- Demonstrate collection of evidentiary materials from the patient’s body.
- Demonstrate drying of evidentiary materials.
- Demonstrate packaging of evidentiary materials.
- Demonstrate labeling and sealing of evidentiary materials.
- Demonstrate accurate and objective medical/forensic documentation.
- Illustrate the detailed ano-genital examination.
- Discuss drug-facilitated sexual assault.
- Discuss sexually transmitted infection and HIV prophylaxis.
- Discuss pregnancy prevention options.
- Describe pre-trial preparations for testifying in court.
- Demonstrate trial testimony.
- Discuss qualifying as an expert for court.
If you have any questions about nursing contact hours for the Virtual Practicum, please contact us at email@example.com or call 509-684-9800.