Detective, San Diego Police Department (Ret.)
San Diego, CA
Detective Carlton Hershman (Ret) is a 32-year veteran of the San Diego Police Department, retiring in 2017. Det. Hershman is a nationally recognized speaker. He has trained thousands of law enforcement professionals, prosecutors, military personnel, sexual assault nurse examiners, and advocates. Det. Hershman served as an instructor at the San Diego Regional Law Enforcement Academy on sex crimes investigations, Interviewing and Interrogation, and investigations 101.
He has worked several assignments as an investigator including Special Investigations Unit, Homicide Unit, Sex Crimes Unit, Elder Abuse Unit, and the C.A.T.C.H. Team (Cyber Unit).
In 2007, Det. Hershman implemented the sex crimes cold case unit. During his 10 years in the Sex Crimes Unit, he investigated more than 1,300 sexual assault cases.
Det. Hershman is on the training faculty for the Institute of Criminal Investigations, a government training agency, and is a member of the End Violence Against Women International Cadre of Experts. He is also a lifetime member of the California Sexual Assault Investigators’ Association and has testified as an expert in sex crimes investigations, false reporting, and victimology of a sex crimes survivor. Det. Hershman also presents at San Diego area high schools, colleges and universities on the subject of acquaintance rape and sexual assault by intoxication.
Det. Hershman operates a consulting business, advising and training law enforcement agencies across the nation in sexual assault investigations.
- Sexual assault investigations
- Drugs and alcohol facilitated sexual assault investigations
- “Image based” sexual abuse (revenge pornography) investigations
- Trauma-informed sexual assault victim interviewing
- False reporting sexual assault cases
- The art of the pre-text phone call
- Effective communications with “difficult” sexual assault victims
- Effective report writing in sexual assault cases