Our free Community Conversation Series goes beyond the basics, delving deep into topics covered in the Sexual Assault Medical Forensic Exam (SAMFE) Virtual Practicum. In this session Stephanie Glover of Ascension St. Vincent Hospital Indianapolis, IN; E. Penny Jacobo of Aging and Independent Services, County of San Diego, CA; Lindsey Silverberg of Network for Victim Recovery of Washington, DC; and Martie Washington of National Clearinghouse on Abuse in Later Life, Madison, WI, will discuss how we can better advocate and care for older patients.
Join us, and bring your own questions and suggestions for how we can all do better.
As a result of this webinar, participants will be better able to:
- Assess an older patient’s capacity to make decisions independently about their own care.
- Navigate potentially difficult topics with older survivors (STIs, embarrassment) while maintaining trust.
- Explain how laws protecting vulnerable adults may affect the criminal justice response or offer more resources.
- Identify ways to empower older sexual assault survivors.
- Describe ways medical providers, advocates, law enforcement, and allied professionals can provide a collective community response to older survivors.
CONTINUING EDUCATION (NURSES ONLY)
EVAWI is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing to provide Continuing Education contact hours for nurses (Provider #15641).
Registered Nurses may purchase 1.25 contact hours after completing this webinar.
This project is supported by Grant No. 15JOVW-22-GK-00265-ICJR awarded by the Office on Violence Against Women, U.S. Department of Justice. The opinions, findings, conclusions, and recommendations expressed in this program are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of the U.S. Department of Justice.